free ebooks

The Beaver, Vol. I, No. 4, January 1921 by Company

Left Fort McPherson for Dawson


style="text-align: justify;"> How Smith's Landing Became FitzGerald

_Heroic Sacrifice of R.N.W.M.P. Officer Led to His Name Being Given to H.B.C. Landing_

FitzGerald, originally known as Smith's Landing, is at the end of the Athabasca River navigation, approximately three hundred miles below McMurray. It is an important point in the transportation system, as cargoes are there discharged and portaged sixteen miles to Fort Smith, where they are loaded into other steamers navigating the Mackenzie River.

In 1910, a commissioned officer of the mounted police named FitzGerald, along with three members of the force, left Fort McPherson for Dawson. The party encountered severe storms, and lost their way in the mountain passes. After wandering for several weeks, they decided to return, but owing to lack of food and inability to procure game of any kind they suffered great privation. Finally, they were obliged to kill their dogs for food. One of the members of the party died and the position of the survivors was desperate, as two of the remaining members were unable to proceed. FitzGerald left these men with all the clothing and whatever else they had that might benefit them and continued _alone_ in an endeavor to get back to Fort McPherson and bring help. On reaching a point about twelve miles of the Post--which was then actually in sight--he was too exhausted to travel further and

was frozen to death.

Meanwhile, the non-arrival of this patrol in Dawson caused the mounted police to send out a search party from that end on the assumption that FitzGerald's party might have been held up nearby, but the search party had to continue within this short distance of McPherson before finding the evidence of the tragedy.

FitzGerald was held in high regard by all the people in the Northwest Territory in which he served and application was made to the authorities at Ottawa to change the name of Smith's Landing to Fort FitzGerald to commemorate his worthy but unfortunately unsuccessful effort to secure relief for his party.

"Uplands," the Ancient H.B.C. Farm on Vancouver Island

_Onetime Natural Park and Grazing Ground Now Being Subdivided at Victoria_

By C. H. FRENCH, _District Manager for B.C._

When Victoria was established by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1843 all that tract of land between Cadboro Bay and The Willows was a park, being studded here and there with beautiful oak trees and plentifully supplied with grass in which the elk loved to scamper about.

_Farm Required to Support Post_

At all Hudson's Bay Company's forts, the self-supporting feature was always given first consideration. At Victoria it was not only necessary to raise sufficient grain, butter and beef to support the Fort, but also sufficient to supply Russian America, or Alaska as we now know it. Uplands was one of the first farms established to gain those ends.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us