free ebooks

The Forest of Dean by H. G. Nicholls

Drybrook to the Bailey Lane 1


Leading from Berry Hill to 1 mile. Shortstanding ,, Christ Church to Symmonds 2 ,, Rock ,, White Oak to Eastbatch Lane .5 ,, End

when other parts of the roads were also improved.

In 1841 the large sum of 5,000 pounds was expended by the Commissioners in constructing roads

From Park End to Blakeney 5 miles. ,, Nail Bridge to Mitcheldean 2 ,, ,, Drybrook to the Bailey Lane 1.5 ,, End ,, Bishop's Wood to Nail 3.5 ,, Bridge ,, Long Stone, Berry Hill, and 2 ,, Fetch Pit

To which may be added a short length of road made from the Hawthorns to the top of the Stenders, by a grant from the Operatives' Relief Fund. {197}

The total length of the roads comprised within the present limits of the Forest is 41 miles 3 furlongs 31 yards. The tolls are not let, but collected in the name of the Commissioners, and yielded, in 1856, as follows, at their respective gates:--

pounds. _s._ _d._ Moseley 26 18 7 Nibley 97 16 6 Yorkley 67 7 9 Lydbrook 227 2 1.5 Slope Pit 17 8 7.5 Nail

Bridge 19 18 1 Drybrook 205 1 1 The Stenders 58 15 11.5 Plump Hill 144 16 7.5 Little Lane End 34 13 10 St. White's 81 19 8 Little Dean 99 0 7 Woodside Reden Horne 16 7 8.5 Howler's Slade 14 19 8.5 Bream 73 12 6 Park End 145 5 2.5 --- -- -- Total 1,331 4 7.5

All these roads are now in excellent repair, but they have been, nevertheless, compelled to yield to the superior advantages of the railway system, here grafted, as is the case in some other places, upon the useful but less perfect tramway. {198}

In the years 1809 and 1810 a local Act authorised the construction of an extensive system of tramways throughout the Forest, under the auspices of "the Severn and Wye" and "Bullo Pill" Companies, traversing respectively the western and eastern sides of the district. The latter of these, the tramway which descends the eastern valley through Cinderford and Sowdley to the Severn, passed into the hands of the South Wales Railway Company, who purchased it in 1849, with the view of forming it into a locomotive road; and this they effected after great difficulty, in consequence of being obliged to carry on the trade upon the tramway at the same time, and opened it on the 14th July, 1854. Its present length, extending from Bullo Pill to the Churchway Colliery, is nearly seven miles. There is a branch from it of three-quarters of a mile to the Whimsey, another of one mile and a half to the Lightmoor Colliery, one of three-quarters of a mile to the Crump Meadow Colliery, one of a quarter of a mile to the Nelson Colliery, and a shorter one to the Regulator Pits. It is a single line, constructed throughout on the broad-gauge principle, and for the present only conveys minerals. A central line, in addition to the above, is in course of formation. The tramway of "the Severn and Wye Company," on the west side of the Forest, has not been materially altered.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us