free ebooks

A History of Horncastle by James Conway Walter

And was buried in the Horncastle cemetery


Humbly now we bow before Thee, Grateful for Thine aid Divine; Everlasting power and glory, Mighty Architect, be Thine. So mote it be

The Procession will return in inverse order to the P.G. Lodge Room.

This hall is a spacious and lofty building, well adapted for its purpose, and also (as it is frequently used) for theatricals, and other entertainments; having a permanent stage, dressing rooms, lavatories, &c., with a commodious kitchen attached, and every convenience for cooking, &c. The cost of the whole was about 2,000 pounds, raised by public subscriptions.

CHAPTER XI. HORNCASTLE WORTHIES, &c.

MISS ANNIE DIXON.

Miss Annie Dixon, the artist, was a native of Horncastle of whom the town may well be proud. She was the eldest daughter of a corn chandler, living on the Spilsby Road, now called East Street; he had two sons and five daughters. We know nothing of the sons, but Miss Annie early developed great taste in water-colour painting; and among her early productions was a miniature of a near relative of the present writer, done in 1855. Another of Miss H. A. Palmer, eldest daughter of Captain Moffat Palmer, of Horncastle, and widow of the late George Storer, Esq., of Thoroton Hall,

Notts., late M.P. for S. Notts., was done about the same time. She afterwards removed to London, and became the first miniature painter of her day; was a frequent exhibitor in the Royal Academy, and a favourite with Queen Victoria and the Royal family, of most of whom she painted miniatures. She died unmarried Feb 15th, 1901, aged 83, and was buried in the Horncastle cemetery.

Another daughter, Leonora, married a Mr. F. Stapleforth, of Holbeach. Two other sisters, Fanny and Emily, unmarried, carried on a ladies' school at Spalding; and another, Charlotte, married a former Under Master of the Horncastle Grammar School, Rev. W. Hutchinson, who in 1862 was appointed by the Lord Chancellor Vicar of Howden, in Yorkshire. Of these Emily, died unmarried, May 28th, 1903, aged 80, and was also buried in the cemetery; as well as Charlotte (Mrs. Hutchinson), who died Oct. 19th, in the same year, aged 73. Their graves are situated to the east of the chapel.

LORD ALLERTON.

Lord Allerton, formerly Mr. William Lawnes Jackson, is a member of a Horncastle family. A near relative was a well-known object, a few years ago, in our streets as a cripple, going about on a donkey, lying flat on a large saddle or "pad," his only means of locomotion. Lord Allerton's father, William Jackson, left Horncastle for Leeds, somewhere in the "thirties," or the "forties," going it is said, with only half a sovereign in his pocket, given by an aunt, and a spare shirt given by an uncle. At Leeds he found employment in the tanyard of a Mr. Robert Barker, where he presently became foreman. He afterwards returned to Horncastle and worked in the tanyard of the late Mr. Hawling; but went back to Leeds and commenced tanning on his own account, at Meanwood near Leeds, and afterwards on a still larger scale at Buslingthorpe. He speedily began to prosper, and in due course was succeeded by his son; who made a large fortune in the same business. He became a magistrate of Leeds, and was elected to the Mayoralty in 1895. He represented North Leeds in Parliament for many years, as a conservative, being first elected in April, 1880, and re-elected five times, with ever increasing majorities. He was for many years a Director and Chairman of G.N.R. Company, and held other public offices. In 1896 he succeeded Mr. A. J. Balfour, under Lord Salisbury's administration, as Chief Secretary for Ireland, being also, for several years, Financial Secretary of the Treasury; and was raised to the peerage in June, 1902. He was born in 1840, married in 1860, Grace, the only daughter of George Tempest, Esq. He owns, as his country seat, Allerton Hall, Chapel Allerton, Leeds, and 27, Cadogan Square, as his town residence. His uncle, Mr. John Green, still lives in Horncastle, on the Edlington Road.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us