free ebooks

A History of Horncastle by James Conway Walter

Patron of the benefice of Nether Toynton


A

renewal of connection with Low Toynton was made when the widow of Nicholas Newcomen married, circa 1700, the Honble. Charles Bertie, son of Robert, 4th Earl of Lindsey, patron of the benefice of Nether Toynton. Arthur Bocher, Esq., of Low Toynton, was in the Lincolnshire Rebellion of 1536, being brother-in-law of Thomas Moygne, one of the leaders in the movement.

Thus the parish of Low Toynton has had residents, proprietors, and rectors, to whom its present inhabitants may look back with some degree of pride and pleasure, although "their place now knoweth them no more."

ROUGHTON.

This village stands on the west bank of the river Bain, about 4 miles to the south of Horncastle. It is bounded on the north by Thornton and Martin, on the east by Haltham and Dalderby, on the south by Kirkby-on-Bain, and on the west by Kirkstead, Kirkby, and Woodhall. The area is 1020 acres, rateable value 945 pounds, population 137, entirely agricultural. The soil is loam, on kimeridge clay, with "Bain terrace" gravel deposits.

The nearest railway stations are at Horncastle and Woodhall Spa, each about four miles distant. There is an award and map of Haltham and Roughton in the parish, and a copy at the County Council office, Lincoln. Three roads meet in the middle of the village, one from Horncastle, one to Woodhall Spa

and Kirkstead, one to Kirkby-on-Bain, Coningsby and Tattershall.

Sir Henry Hawley, Bart., of Tumby Lawn, in the adjoining parish of Kirkby, is Lord of the Manor, but Lady Hartwell (daughter of the late Sir Henry Dymoke, the King's Champion), and the executors of the Clinton family (now Clinton Baker) and the Rector own most of the soil; there being a few small proprietors. Roughton Hall, the property of Lady Hartwell, is occupied by F. G. Hayward, Esq.

The register dates from 1564. Peculiar entries are those of 43 burials for the years 1631-2, including those of the Rector and his two daughters, who died within a few days of each other; this was from the visitation called "The Plague," or the "Black Death." For some years before 1657 only civil marriages were valid in law, and Judge Filkin is named in the register as marrying the Rector of Roughton, John Barcroft, to Ann Coulen. In 1707 Mary Would is named as overseer of the parish, it being very unusual at that period for women to hold office. Another entry, in the overseer's book, needs an explanation. "Simon Grant, for 1 day's work of bages, 2s. 6d.;" and again, "Simon flint, for 1 day's work of bages, 2s. 6d." "Bage" was the turf, cut for burning; in this case being cut from the "church moor," for the church fire. It was severe labour, often producing rupture of the labourer's body, hence the high pay.

There is a charity named the "Chamerlayne Dole," of 10s., given yearly to the poor, left by Martha Chamerlayn in 1702. It is a charge upon a cottage and garden owned by Mr. T. Jackson, of Horncastle.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us