free ebooks

A History of Horncastle by James Conway Walter

With appurtenances in Roughton and elsewhere


The National School was established about 1860, in a building erected in 1834 as a Wesleyan Chapel. It was enlarged in 1872 and 1879. It is supported by a voluntary rate.

The Church, St. Margaret's, is of no architectural beauty, being built of brick and sandstone. It consists of nave and chancel, with castellated tower, having one bell, also castellated parapets at the north and south corners of the east chancel wall. The font is Norman, circular, with circular pediment, having an old oak octagonal cover, cupola shaped, plain except slight carving round the rim. The fabric was newly roofed in 1870, when it was fitted with good open benches, the chancel paved with encaustic tiles, and the windows partly filled with stained glass; there are fragments of a former carved rood screen, the pulpit being of plain old oak.

In the chancel is a lengthy inscription, commemorative of Norreys Fynes; Esq., of Whitehall, in the adjoining parish of Martin. He was grandson of Sir Henry Clinton, eldest son of Henry, Earl of Lincoln, by his second wife, daughter of Sir Richard Morrison, and mother of Francis, Lord Norreys, afterwards Earl of Berkshire. He was a non-juror. He died January 10th, 1735-6, aged 74. There is a murial tablet to the memory of the Rev. Arthur Rockliffe, who died in 1798; another to Charles Pilkington, Esq., who died in 1798, and Abigail, his wife, who died in 1817.

The benefice is a discharged rectory, united to that of Haltham in 1741, and now held by the Rev. H. Spurrier, the patron being his son the Rev. H. C. M. Spurrier. The two benefices together are valued at 450 pounds a year. There is a good rectory house. The church plate is modern. The village feast was discontinued about 50 years ago.

Peculiar field names are the Low Ings, Bottom Slabs, Carr Bottom, Church Moor, Honey Hole, Wong, Well-syke, Long Sand, Madam Clay, Sewer Close. {190a}

As to the early history of Roughton, _Domesday Book_ gives it among the possessions of William the Conqueror, and also as belonging to Robert Despenser, his powerful steward, who probably held it under the king. A Chancery Inquisition post mortem, 22 Richard II., No. 13, A.D. 1399, shows that Ralph de Cromwell, jointly with his wife Matilda, held the adjoining Manor of Tumby, with appurtenances in Roughton and elsewhere. While another Inquisition of 13 Henry VII., No. 34, shows that the said Matilda died, "seised in fee tail of the same lands." {190b}

In the reign of Elizabeth a family of Eastwoods resided here, since the name of Andrew Eastwood, of Roughton, appears in the list (published by T. C. Noble) of those gentry who contributed 25 pounds to the Armada Fund. Other documents shew that at different periods the hall has been occupied by members of various county families, as Fynes (already named), Wichcote, Heneage, Dymoke, Pilkington, and Beaumont.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us