free ebooks

A History of Horncastle by James Conway Walter

Qui istim fenestram fieri fecerunt


document, a Chantry Certificate,

Lincoln, No. 33 (55), Ed. VI. (1552), states that "the Guild of St. Katharine, in Horncastell, was founded by _Joan_ Copuldyke, widow, and others, with the intention that one Chaplain for ever, should celebrate divine services in the church, for the souls of the founder, and others; the profits of the land and possessions are received by the Alderman of the Guild." They are described as "worth yearly 13 pounds 8s. 8d., with fees, wages, rents and other reprises, 7 pounds 15s. 3d. The clear value, reprises deducted, yearly, 5 pounds 13s. 10d.," with "goods, chattels and ornaments worth 1 pounds 10s." It is to be observed that Gervase Holles says, that at the time of his visit, she was named "Margaret," in a window then existing in the church. A Patent Roll, 3 Ed. VI., pt. 5, m. 4, gives various lands and tenements, with which this chantry was endowed, in Horncastle, Spilsby, Thornton and Roughton, occupied by about 100 tenants; and states that all these were granted "by the King to Robert Carr, gent., of Sleaford, and John Almond, their heirs and assigns." Witness, the King, at Westminster, 15 July, 1549. This is further confirmed by an Inquisition post mortem, 5 Eliz., pt. 1, No. 67. [This was 'in return for a payment by them of 1,238 pounds 11s. 10d.'] Among the signatories to a declaration of the Royal supremacy (Lincoln Chapter Housebook, B. 3, 14, p. 39) are the names of Robt. James, Vicar of Horncastle Michel Whithed, Curate of Horncastle Hugh Doddington, "Cantuarista"
of Horncastle (probably Chaplain of this Chantry). It was also served by Robert Geffrey in 1552. Chantry Certificates, Lincoln 33 (55).

{37a} Harleian MS. No. 6829, p. 241. In a window in the north aisle was the inscription "Orate pro ai'a Thomae Coppuldike armig., et D'nae Margaretae, Consortis suae, fundatoria gildae cantar . . . fenestram fieri fecit. Ano D'ni 1526." In the eastern window of the south aisle was the inscription "Orate pro benefactoribus artis sutorum, qui istim fenestram fieri fecerunt. sc'ae Nemanae cum sera et catena. Item S'ci Crispinus et Crispinianus cum instrumentis calceariis." Here it is distinctly stated that a Guild of Shoemakers gave the window, and that Crispinus and Crispinianus the patron saints of shoemakers, were there represented. A note in the same MS. states that Frances, wife of Gervase Holles, died at Horncastle and was buried there. (These passages are quoted in Weir's _History of Horncastle_, pp. 30, 31, note, edition of 1820).

{38} Mr. Dee had formerly been a Clerk in Mr. Clitherow's office, as Solicitor.

{39a} This was formerly the altar-piece below the east window of the chancel, before the present reredos was placed there, and dedicated at the Harvest Festival, 22 Sept., 1870.

{39b} It may here be stated, that the former font was quite as good as the present one, octagonal in form, and of perpendicular design, in harmony with older portions of the church. It was, however, discarded at the restoration, and, for some time, hidden away among rubbish, but eventually presented to the restored church of the neighbouring parish of Belchford. The bowl of the present font is too small to answer the requirements of the Rubric, and is not in keeping with the architecture of the church.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us