free ebooks

A History of Horncastle by James Conway Walter

Below the east window is a stone Reredos


In

the chancel walls, north and south, are triple windows in the same style, but with plain columns and white glass. Below the east window is a stone Reredos, having four panels with decorated arches on each side, north and south; with a central canopy of 3 compartments, nicely carved, and plain cross in the centre. This was carved and designed by Messrs. F. Bell & Son, of Horncastle. The Reredos was due to a movement originating with the Girls' Club, then under the management of Miss Agnes Armstrong; assisted by contributions from members of the choir, a considerable sum of money being raised by them, for altar frontals and other fittings in the chancel. These, and other additions, were dedicated by the late vicar, Prebendary E. F. Quarrington, on All Saints' day, Nov. 1, 1895.

The Organ, on the north side of the choir, is a good instrument. In the early days of the church an old organ was transferred from St. Mary's Church and placed at the west end, but this was sold in 1869, and for some years a harmonium was used in the choir. The present instrument was the work of Messrs. Foster & Andrews, of Hull, and has one manual, with pedals.

The Pulpit, on the south of the lofty chancel arch, is of stone, having 5 panels with dog-tooth borders, illuminated in gold and various colours; and having, within central circles, figures of SS. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, the fifth having the cross with the inscription

"Feed my sheep." The Reading Desk, on the north, is part of the chancel sedilia; this, with the Lectern, slightly carved, in front of it, and all the sittings, are of pitch pine, stained.

At the west end of the south aisle is a plain lancet window of one light. The window corresponding to this, in the north aisle, has good coloured glass, in memory of the late Hugh George, M.D., who died in 1895. It has two subjects (1) The healing of the lame man by SS. Peter and John, at the beautiful gate of the temple, and (2) Luke, the beloved physician, ministering to St. Paul, in prison at Rome.

The west window is of two lights, narrow lancets with circular window above, having quatrefoil tracery. These are filled with coloured glass, given by the late Miss Lucy Babington of The Rookery, Horncastle, in memory of her parents, brothers and sister. The subject in the upper "Rose" window is the Holy Dove descending; those in the window below are (1) our Lord's Baptism, (2) His commission to the disciples, "Go ye, and baptize all nations;" (3) The baptism of a Jew (St. Paul), and (4) The baptism of a Gentile (Cornelius). {59}

[Picture: Holy Trinity Church]

Below this window, and in keeping with the subjects above, stands the Font, on a plain octagonal base. The bowl is circular and larger than that in St. Mary's Church. It is supported by 8 carved pilasters at the angles, with a central one; rising from these are narrow arches with dog-tooth moulding.

In the eastern part of the churchyard lie the remains of four successive vicars of Horncastle, and the wife of a fifth. A coffin-shaped stone, adorned with a full-length floriated cross, has this inscription: "Thomas James Clarke, M.A., Vicar of Horncastle, died 14th May, 1853. Is any among you afflicted, let him pray." This stone was put down by the Rev. Edmund Huff, who was curate at the time of Mr. Clarke's death, and afterwards Rector of Little Cawthorpe near Louth.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us