free ebooks

A History of Horncastle by James Conway Walter

Lord Worsley Sir Joseph Hawley


Among Vice-Presidents have been two Earls Fortescue (father and son); Lord Worsley: Sir Joseph Hawley, Bart.; J. Hassard Short, Esq.; Earl Manvers; C. H. Massingberd Mundy, Esq.; General Sir E. Brackenbury, Knight of Hanover; J. Lewis Ffytche, Esq.; Capt. Dallas York, Lord Willoughby d'Eresby; Sir H. M. Hawley, Bart.

For many years a ball was given in aid of the funds, in the Assembly Room, Bull Hotel, Horncastle, which (with the exception perhaps of the "stuff" ball at Lincoln) was the most fashionably attended of any such gathering in the county. Among the stewards of this ball we find the names of G. M. Alington, Esq., of Swinhope Hall; Joseph Livesey, Esq., Stourton Hall; C. Waldo Sibthorpe, Esq., Canwick Hall; G. F. W. Sibthorpe, Esq.; Col. Sibthorpe, M.P.; the Right Honble. C. T. d'Egremont, M.P.; E. Heneage, Esq., M.P.; Capt. Mansell, of Well Hall; G. B. Langton, Esq., of Langton Hall; J. Banks Stanhope, M.P.; Sir Montague Cholmondly, Bart.; Sir Charles H. J. Anderson, of Lea, Bart.; Sir William Ingilby, Bart., Ripley Castle, Yorks; Lord Yarborough; H. Handley, M.P., Sleaford; Lord Amelius Beauclerk; Capt. Boucherett, North Willingham Hall; Honble. Capt. Monson; Capt. Lionel Dymoke.

Among the lady patronesses were Lady Worsley, the Duchess of St. Albans, Lady Mary Christopher, Mrs. G. W. Sibthorpe, Lady Anderson, Mrs. Livesey, Lady Nelthorpe, Lady Dymoke, Lady Albinia Pye.

These balls were discontinued, to the general regret, and to the loss of the dispensary, after the year 1871; and to make up for the loss Mr. J. Banks Stanhope in that year presented the institution with a cheque for 20 pounds.

We close this list of officials, with a brief account of the dispensers, on whom the efficiency of the institution largely depended. They were usually qualified chemists, or surgeons and apothecaries; and generally also acted as secretaries. The first of these we have already named, Mr. John Chislett, to him succeeded Mr. Lewis Bilton, secretary and compositor, 1793-1799; L. Barton, compositor, 1799-1801; G. Lunn, compositor, 1801-1807; John Lenton, compositor, 1807-1809; William Morley, compositor, 1809-1810; Thomas Taylor, surgeon apothecary, compositor, 1811-1826; Thomas Snaith, Surgeon, 1826-1834; William Ward, surgeon and apothecary, 1834-1839; W. Shepherd, 1839-1840 (ad interim); Francis Macarthur, {124} dispenser, 1840-1865; William Caunt, dispenser, 1865-75; William Betts, Chemist and Druggist, 1875, Lady-day; elected secretary Nov. 2nd, 1882; his services have extended over a longer period than those of any previous dispenser.

On the death of the Champion, Sir Henry Dymoke, Bart., April 28th, 1865, the Governors resolved to erect a new dispensary, as a memorial of his long connection with the charity. Circulars were issued inviting subscriptions, and, among other donors, Robert Vyner, Esq., of Gautby Hall, gave 200 pounds; the site of 52, North Street, was purchased, and the present building was erected in 1866. In 1867 the old house in the churchyard was sold for 142 pounds 11s. 4d., and the new premises were occupied in the autumn of that year. It was built from the designs of Messrs. Bellamy & Hardy, Architects, of Lincoln, the contractor for the work being Mr. Robert Carter, Builder, of North Street, Horncastle. The original contract was for 765 pounds, but the ultimate cost, with furniture, lawyer's expenses, &c., amounted to 1,026 pounds 10s. 11d. It is subject to a ground rent of 1 pound to the Stanhope estate.


eBook Search
Social Sharing
Share Button
About us

freefictionbooks.org is a collection of free ebooks that can be read online. Ebooks are split into pages for easier reading and better bookmarking.

We have more than 35,000 free books in our collection and are adding new books daily.

We invite you to link to us, so as many people as possible can enjoy this wonderful free website.

© 2010-2013 freefictionbooks.org - All Rights Reserved.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us