the summer of 1867 he returned to San Francisco and was engaged as basso at Howard Presbyterian church. He remained there several years, then went to First Unitarian Church where he sang for seven years and then went to Grace Cathedral. He sang there for ten years and then took charge of the choir at the Calvary Presbyterian Church, resigning March 1, 1906, after eight years of service. During all those years he was known throughout the coast as the San Francisco basso. He made one tour of British Columbia, Washington, a territory then, Oregon and California with Madam Anna Bishop. He made another tour of California with Madam Camilla Urso, the violiniste, and a second tour of the northwest with Charles Kohler, Charles Vivian and Mrs. Blake-Alverson. He sang in all of the oratorios given by the Handel and Haydn society of San Francisco as bass soloist, Creation, St. Paul, Elijah, Samson, Mendelssohn's Hymn of Praise and Messiah. He also sang as basso of the Temple Emanuel from 1874 to 1888, thirteen consecutive years, and was the basso profundo of that celebrated male quartette, The Amphions, composed of Joseph Maguire, H.J. Tippett, Jacob Stadfeldt, Campbell and Harry Hunt, pianist. Upon the death of Joseph Maguire in 1878 the quartette disbanded as we were unable to fill his place. While singing at the First Unitarian Church the choir was composed of Mrs. Marriner, soprano; Miss Sallie Rightmire, alto; Joseph Maguire, tenor; W.C. Campbell, basso. The soprano and bass were united
in the holy bonds of wedlock and are still living happily together. Having given up concert singing for several years past, Mr. Campbell still retains his magnificent voice which gives great pleasure to those who hear him. His voice has a range of two and one-half octaves from high F to low B flat, a remarkable range at the present time.
Ada Koch Geo. G. Peterson Lauretta Shaw Bessie G. Newell Mrs. Grace E. Dobbins-Ames Susan Culver Mrs. J.R. Case
PUPILS OF THE 90's]
FREDERICK ZECH, JR.
Mr. Zech, pianist and composer, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and came here with his family in 1860. He began his musical studies early in life. He made such progress in his studies that later he went abroad and studied from 1882 to 1887. While in Berlin he became a private pupil of Theodore Kullack. He began to teach in 1878. His first academy was the New Academy of the Tone Art in Berlin. Before going abroad he had conducted symphony concerts and recitals and was a successful teacher, also composed many beautiful compositions in serious music, two symphonic poems and orchestral music and conducted the same successfully.
Sir Henry Heyman is the dean of coast violinists, and